Save your home and health insurance: Prevent a fire

Tonight I went out to eat with my family. Usually eating out is a purely selfish thing. We go because we want to and satisfy our taste buds. But today was a little different. Today we ate out with a cause. A family in their neighborhood recently suffered a fire in their home. The loss was devastating for their family. A popular local restaurant was hosting a benefit in their honor. Any meals purchased that night would have 15 percent of the proceeds donated to help the family. The line was out the door the entire night. One of the children in the family went to the local high school. What a sight it was to see the place packed with her classmates, eager to make their good meal mean more.

My whole life I have been terrified of fires. Any type. I would have nightmares about my house burning down. As I was eating my nachos I thought about how devastating it must be for that family. Not only the loss of possessions, but the loss of memories and a place to live. I only hoped that the family had home insurance for their possessions and health insurance for their injuries. Nothing would be worse than losing your home than having medical bills piled on top of that.

To ease your fears, it is best to be prepared. For life’s curve balls, you never know what will happen.  The only thing you can do is prepare the best you can. So this post is dedicated to preventing and preparing for a fire in your home.

  • Be careful when you cook. Most fires start in the kitchen. Keep oven mitts, towels and sleeves away when you are cooking. They can easily catch fire.
  • Another fire that happens a lot in kitchens are grease fires. Grease fires cannot be put out with water. Water makes it spread. Quickly put a lid on top of the fire. If you are quick enough, grab baking soda or flour. But grease fires are very dangerous. If it gets large enough, evacuate immediately.
  • Unplug electrical appliances after use. A left on curling iron can quickly turn dangerous if left unattended. Make sure any electrical outlets and appliances you use do not have any damage to them, because they can spark.
  • Do not overload an electrical outlet or extension cord. Overloading an outlet with too many plugs can cause overheating and create a potential for a fire.
  • Monitor candle use very closely. A candle is a little flame, a baby fire. While it can help freshen up a room, it can potentially be dangerous. A girl I knew lit her house on fire when she left a candle lit in her bedroom. Use a candle, but make sure to blow it out. Keep it in a big, open area that you are in a lot. Never in a room where it can be forgotten. You can use candle alternatives, like a candle warmer if you do not want to have an open flame.